From the Annals of the Horse Troopers – In 1852, Fort Clark was established by two companies of the First Infantry under the command of Major Joseph H. LaMotte along with an advance and rear guard of U.S. Mounted Rifles. The U.S. Army post was located at the site of Las Moras Springs just outside of present-day Bracketville. The site was a favorite camp ground for Comanche, Mescalero, Lipan and other Native Americans. The enormous spring was a stopping place on great Comanche War Trail leading into Mexico. The Fort was an important link in the line of defense against raiding war parties. It also served as a base for the famous Seminole-Negro Indian Scouts and served as an active post through World War II.
Today the site is most famous for its fabulous spring fed swimming pool – the third largest pool in Texas. Legend has it that the commander of the fort sent a requisition to create the pool at the request of his wife and was turned down. He resubmitted it as a requisition for a horse-watering trough and was approved. The 100 yard long pool is an ideal spot for summer recreation under the towering cottonwood and oak trees and a must-do for Texas swimming hole aficionados.
Photo from fortclark.com.