From the Annals of the Capital City – In 1840, Moses Johnson was elected mayor of Austin. Johnson, a medical doctor, had moved to Texas in the late 1830s. He practiced medicine and surgery in Harrisburg and Liberty counties until moving to Austin in 1840, where he was quickly elected alderman and later mayor and also appointed justice of the peace. He was a Mason and served as the grand marshal of the Grand Lodge of Texas in 1844. On December 14, 1844, he was appointed treasurer of the republic by Pres. Anson Jones. In April 1846 he was a member of a Democratic committee that marked the beginnings of Texas Democratic party. In 1848, Johnson was appointed inspector and collector of revenue for the port of Lavaca.