From the Annals of the Big Parks – In 1988, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission purchased Big Bend Ranch in Presidio County to form Big Bend State Natural Area now known as Big Bend Ranch State Park. The acquisition of the 311,000 acre ranch more than doubled the amount of park land under state control. The park offers hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding, fishing and boating on the Rio Grande and even has a 5500 foot landing strip.
Photo of Solitario Peak from Texas Parks and Wildlife.
From the Annals of Higher Education – In 1920, Sul Ross State Normal College began operations. The school which is located in Alpine is now known as Sul Ross State University. The school is named for Lawrence Sullivan Ross a Texas Governor and Confederate General. SRSU became the cultural and educational center for remote Big Bend region of Texas. A major draw is the Museum of the Big Bend which serves as a depository for materials which depict the multicultural society and history of the Big Bend region. The Archives of the Big Bend in the Bryan Wildenthal Memorial Library collects documents reflecting the history and culture of the region. SRSU offer 41 undergraduate and 27 graduate degree programs and has an enrollment of around 2000 students.