Tag Archives: Camp Ben McCulloch

Today in Texas History -August 9

From the Annals of the Veterans –  In 1946,  the last Confederate reunion was held at Camp Ben McCulloch near Dripping Springs.   The first reunion of Texas Confederate veterans was held in 1896 at a site near CBM.  CBM began to hold the annual reunions in 1904.  The reunion expanded and by the 1930s, the event was the largest annual reunion of the elderly Confederate vets with as many as 6000 attendees.   The reunion of actual veterans lasted until 1946 when the last two Hays County veterans died.  CBM still hosts an annual event for the Sons and Daughters of the Confederacy.