From the Annals of the Frontier – In 1849, Captain Seth Eastman and his unit established Camp Leona in Uvalde County. The encampment was on the Leona River and was ultimately called Fort Inge. The Fort was intended to provide protection to settlements and travelers in the western Hill Country and was part of a federal line of forts in Texas. The Fort was a base for U.S. Army regulars and Texas militia. Fort Inge operated primarily as a small one-company post with about 50 soldiers. The Fort allowed additional settlement in the area and by the late 1850s farmers had established the nearby community of Uvalde. Fort Inge was closed in 1869 and the site today serves as part of Fort Inge County Park.
Drawing by Seth Eastman.