From the Annals of the Missions – In 1716, Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe de los Nacogdoches Mission was founded by the Domingo Ramon expedition in a village of the Nacogdoches Indians. The well-traveled Father Antonio Margil de Jesus was placed in charge of the mission. The mission was abandoned temporarily in 1719 because of a French invasion of Texas, but it was the first Zacatecan mission to be restored when the Spanish reasserted control two years later. The mission was deemed a failure as the Nacogdoches tribe resisted conversion to Catholicism. In 1773, it was permanently abandoned after the cession of Louisiana to Spain by the French.