From the Annals of the Republic – In 1839, the last mention of the steamship Cayuga was recorded and the notable vessel passed from history. The Cayuga, an eighty-eight-ton side-wheeler built in 1832, had been the first commercially successful steamboat in Texas and was critical to the Texian war effort during the Revolution. She carried army supplies, messages, and transported government officials and refugees. Most curiously, she was the floating capitol of Texas. Pres. David G. Burnett impressed her for public service. When the government was forced to evacuate Harrisburg ahead of Santa Anna’s army, Burnet and his cabinet used the steamer as their temporary capitol for about a week.
After the revolution ended, the vessel was sold at auction on December 15, 1836 at Lynch’s Ferry. The new owners refitted the vessel and renamed her the Branch T. Archer. The last mention of the former Cayuga was a Liberty County sheriff’s sale on this date in 1839, advertising the sale of the historic vessel.