From the Annals of the State Police – In 1935, the Texas legislature established the Texas Department of Public Safety. As the name implies, the function of the agency was to provide for public safety meaning primarily crime prevention and investigation. The DPS was under the oversight of the three-member Public Safety Commission who were appointed by Gov. James Allred. The Commission hired the director and assistant director who were responsible for day-to-day operations. The original DPS was organized into six divisions: the Texas Highway Patrol, Texas Rangers, Bureau of Communications, Bureau of Intelligence, Bureau of Education, and Bureau of Identification and Records. The DPS is still in business today with its headquarters on N. Lamar in Austin.