From the Annals of Real Property Records – In 1758,Luís Antonio Menchaca and Andrés Hernández resolved a title dispute concerning Menchaca’s San Francisco Ranch. The agreement resulted in the oldest recorded private land grant in Texas. The grant which is recorded in the General Land Office involved a total of fifteen leagues and seven labores in present-day Karnes and Wilson counties. Menchaca was deeded eleven leagues and two labores while four leagues and five labores were granted to Hernández.
Menchaca was born in 1713 and was a Captain in the Spanish army and served as justicia mayor of San Fernando. Less is know about Hernandez, but he was a soldier at San Antonio de Béxar Presidio. At the time of the grant, he made sworn statements to the effect that he had been living on the site for more than five years by virtue of a grant of four sitios and eight caballerías of land which had been made to his deceased father more than twenty-two years previously. It is possible that this was the site of the first ranch in Texas.