From the Annals of Public Art – in 1948, the Mustangs sculpture on the University of Texas campus was dedicated. The sculptor was Alexander P. Proctor. Proctor was contacted by J. Frank Dobie for his fried oilman Ralph Ogden who wanted to give a sculpted group of mustangs to UT. Proctor made a 15″ high clay model of small compact group of six mustangs. He later added a colt and the model was approved. He worked on the sculpture throughout much of 1939 while living on part of the King Ranch where a herd of wild mustangs still roamed. Proctor finished the plaster cast, but it sat in the Gorham Bronze foundry waiting material for casting which was delayed because of WWII. It was presented to UT when finished. Proctor was present for the dedication. Unfortunately, Ogden had died but his wife presented the statue in his honor.