From the Annals of the Streetcars – In 1910, the “Toonerville Trolley” streetcar line began operating between Houston and the suburban community of Bellaire .In 1909 the Westmoreland Railroad Company, directed by Bellaire developer William Wright Baldwin, began construction of a streetcar line between the intersection of Bellaire Blvd and South Rice Ave and Houston’s Main Street 4 miles to the east to improve transportation between Bellaire and Houston. The line ran on the esplanade of Bellaire Boulevard. At the same time, the Houston Electric Company extended its south end line from Eagle Avenue down present Fannin Street to connect with the Bellaire line. The trip between Bellaire and downtown Houston required one transfer at Eagle Avenue. Sadly, the line was abandoned on September 26, 1927.