Tag Archives: Fort Worth & Denver City Railway

Today in Texas History – December 15

Old Railroad Maps | TEXAS PANHANDLE & DENVER/TEXAS/FT. WORTH RR BY NORTHRUP 1888

From the Annals of the Iron Horse – In 1887, the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway became the first rail line to enter northwest Texas. The train was run into the new community of Cheyenne in Oldham County.  The line was nicknamed “the Denver Road” and operated in the Texas from 1881 to 1982.  The FWDC was chartered by the Texas legislature on May 26, 1873. The company would later change its name to the  Fort Worth and Denver Railways Co. in 1951.  The main line ran from Fort Worth through Wichita Falls, Childress, Amarillo and Dalhart to Texline where it connected with the Colorado and Southern line.