From the Annals of the County Seat – In 1902, Dalhart was recognized as the county seat of Dallam County. The name Dalhart is a portmanteau combining the name of the Dallam and Hartley counties as the town straddles the county line. The town origins go back to the crossing of the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad and the Fort Worth and Denver line. The settlement was first known as Twist Junction and later as Denrock derived from the names of the railroad lines. However, when the postal service objected to the name, it was changed to Dalhart.
Photo from braggdavison.com.
From the Annals of the Iron Horse – In 1887, the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway became the first rail line to enter northwest Texas. The train was run into the new community of Cheyenne in Oldham County. The line was nicknamed “the Denver Road” and operated in the Texas from 1881 to 1982. The FWDC was chartered by the Texas legislature on May 26, 1873. The company would later change its name to the Fort Worth and Denver Railways Co. in 1951. The main line ran from Fort Worth through Wichita Falls, Childress, Amarillo and Dalhart to Texline where it connected with the Colorado and Southern line.