Tag Archives: Laredo Weekly

Today in Texas History – June 14

From the Annals of the Daily Papers – In 1881, the Laredo Morning Times was founded as the Laredo Weekly.  The LW was a four-page newspaper published by James Saunders Penn in the corner of a downtown building on Farragut Street in Laredo. Two years later, the paper began daily publication as the Laredo Daily Times. In 1926, the paper became the first English-language paper on the border to include a Spanish section.  In 1986, William B. Green became only the ninth publisher of the Laredo Morning Times. The paper is owned by the Hearst Corporation.