From the Annals of the Daily Papers – In 1881, the Laredo Morning Times was founded as the Laredo Weekly. The LW was a four-page newspaper published by James Saunders Penn in the corner of a downtown building on Farragut Street in Laredo. Two years later, the paper began daily publication as the Laredo Daily Times. In 1926, the paper became the first English-language paper on the border to include a Spanish section. In 1986, William B. Green became only the ninth publisher of the Laredo Morning Times. The paper is owned by the Hearst Corporation.
The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that a mountain lion was captured in a Laredo subdivision on February 25. The secretive cats are rarely seen in the wild – much less observed in urban areas. The lion was tranquilized after being located in the Santa Rita subdivision. The cat has been turned over to the State Game Warden who will assess its condition and likely release it back into the wild in a more remote location.
Photo from the Laredo PD’s facebook page. Nice of them to cover the lion’s head to protect its privacy rights.
From the Annals of the Latinos – In 1911, the Congreso Mexicanista began meeting in Laredo. THE CM was the first statewide Mexican-American civil-rights conference and was organized and promoted by the Idar family – the publishers of La Crónica. Attending the CM were representatives and members of most of the major Mexican-American social organizations of the day, as well as all Mexican consuls in the state, and Texas-Mexican journalists. The CM established the Gran Liga Mexicanista de Beneficencia y Protección (Great Mexican League for Benefit and Protection) and the Liga Femenil Mexicanista to promote cultural and moral values among Texas Mexicans, provide protection from abuse by public authorities, and combat segregation of Texas Mexican students. Nicasio Idar was chosen the leader of the Gran Liga, and Jovita Idar, his daughter, was elected president of the Liga Femenil.