From the Annals of the Daily Papers – In 1881, the Laredo Morning Times was founded as the Laredo Weekly. The LW was a four-page newspaper published by James Saunders Penn in the corner of a downtown building on Farragut Street in Laredo. Two years later, the paper began daily publication as the Laredo Daily Times. In 1926, the paper became the first English-language paper on the border to include a Spanish section. In 1986, William B. Green became only the ninth publisher of the Laredo Morning Times. The paper is owned by the Hearst Corporation.
From the Annals of Journalism – In 1879, the Texan, was first published in La Grange by E. J. Glueckman. The paper was first Czech newspaper in Texas. The short-lived paper was renamed Slovan in July 1879 after Frank Lidiak bought the paper. In 1885, Lidiak sold the paper to Joseph Cada, who moved it to Bryan. The operation was completely out of business by 1889.
From the Annals of the Weeklies – In 1887, Henry Harold Brookes published the first edition of the Panhandle Herald. The Herald is the oldest continuously published newspaper in the Texas Panhandle. The paper has been mostly a weekly except during about 3 years during the 20’s when it was published semiweekly. The paper has been owned by the Panhandle Publishing Company since 1932.
From the Annals of Print Journalism – In 1886, editor Simeon Newman published the last edition of the El Paso Lone Star. Newman had learned the trade in Las Vegas, NM. After teaching school for several years, Newman signed on in 1871 as an apprentice newspaperman for the Las Vegas Weekly Mail. A quick learner apparently, he bought the paper six weeks later. The Weekly Mail regularly attacked the “Santa Fe Ring” for corruption. After a ten year fight, Newman was enticed to move his paper to El Paso and renamed it the Lone Star. Newman continued his crusading ways in El Paso. A staunch, Methodist, Democrat and reformer, Newman chose “Hew to the line, let the chips fall where they may” as the Lone Star’s motto. He attacked gamblers, saloon keepers, gunmen, and the criminal element, but also directed his diatribes at anyone he believed guilty of corruption. This approach left Newman with few friends or supporters. He was ultimately forced to close the Lone Star.
From the Annals of Print Journalism – In 1819, Eli Harris published the first edition of the Texas Republican in Nacogdoches. The paper is believed to be the earliest newspaper published in Texas for which records exist in contemporary St. Louis and New Orleans papers. It is unknown how many issues of the Republican were printed. It was short-lived as sources indicate that the Texas Republican had discontinued publication by September 1819.