From the Annals of the Missionaries – In 1675, the Bosque-Larios Expedition party left the mission of Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe near present-day Monclova, Coahuila on a mission to convert Native Americans in Coahuila. The expedition was led by Fernando del Bosque and Fray Juan Larios. Other members included Fray Dionisio de San Buenaventura, Captain Juan de la Cruz and ten Spanish soldiers, Lázaro Agustín, the governor of the Indian pueblo of San Miguel de Luna, and twenty Bobole Indians. On May 11, the expedition reached the Rio Grande downriver from Eagle Pass. Bosque claimed the river for Spain renaming it the river the San Buenaventura del Norte. On May 15, the expedition encountered several chiefs who had received reports and asked the missionaries to come to teach and baptize their followers. Bosque administered an oath of allegiance to the king and celebrated a Mass. The Spaniards probably traveled more than 100 miles into Texas reaching a site in present-day Edwards County that they called San Pablo Hermitano.
From the Annals of Print Journalism – In 1819, Eli Harris published the first edition of the Texas Republican in Nacogdoches. The paper is believed to be the earliest newspaper published in Texas for which records exist in contemporary St. Louis and New Orleans papers. It is unknown how many issues of the Republican were printed. It was short-lived as sources indicate that the Texas Republican had discontinued publication by September 1819.