From the Annals of the Coast – In 1851, the United States approved a contract to construct a lighthouse on South Padre Island. Known as the Port Isabel Lighthouse, construction was completed in 1852. It was one of 16 lighthouses constructed on the Texas coast and the only one open to the public at the Port Isabel State Historical Site. The PIL served as a beacon for more than 60 years but became obsolete and was extinguished in 1905. The lighthouse fell into neglect until the Texas State Parks Board provided funds for restoration in 1947. The historic landmark has become a popular tourist attraction for visitors to South Texas The PIL was restored in 2000 and returned to the appearance it had following its last major operational renovation in 1880.
From the Annals of the Parks – In `933, the Texas State Parks Board acquired 198 acres of the Ottine Swamp in Gonzales County from the City of Gonzales, the Texas & New Orleans Railroad and several private land owners. The land was designated as Palmetto State Park which opened in 1936. The park was constructed by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) between 1934 and 1937. The CCC built Park Road 11, a low water crossing on the San Marcos River, a water tower/storage building, refectory, and residence (currently the park headquarters), barbeque pits, picnic seating, rock pool and retention dams, rock table, culverts, concrete picnic tables, and two sets of entrance portals. The park is home to numerous plant and animal species that are not found typically found in the region.
From the Annals of the State Parks – in 1969, the Lyndon B. Johnson State Historical Park opened to the public. The state park is directly across the Pedernales River from the LBJ National Historical Park which encompasses much of the LBJ Ranch. The two parks operate largely in tandem and feature numerous sites including the family cemetery where LBJ and Lady Bird are laid to rest.
Charles Agawereh and Meredith Baird of San Marcos had the bright idea to spray paint their street names of CA$H and TRUCK on the beloved natural landmark Enchanted Rock. And the couple was apparently stupid enough to post the photo on Facebook. It didn’t take police long to identify the two since their street names were known from an earlier arrest in San Marcos. The pair now face felony graffiti and drug-related charges, according to Texas Parks & Wildlife officials. Hope the 15 minutes was worth it.